Sunday, December 11, 2005

12-11-05

Well, heck, this is my first whack at the blogging thing.
Today my Mac lap-top turned toes up and I had to send it to town to get looked at. I use the thing for editing my DVD's. I have a ton of folks wanting my DVD that I made for Jay Leno this summer. It was on calling moose. It was only 3 minutes long. I intend on doing a longer DVD this winter on how moose calling actually works, and when to do it.
It looks like a lot of people are interested in how it's done. I'm not the worlds best caller, but I have been doing it for 40 years or so.
It certainly worked good this year. We got three nice bulls. One was so close that it was shoot or get stepped on. Luckily it was a legal bull.
I have had a lot of folks ask me how I got on the Jay Leno show. Well, it was by doing moose calls at the North American Moose Foundation convention last year at Park City Utah. I competed for the world champion moose caller. They got too busy auctioning off hunting trips to have the finals, so I wasn't able to win the thing. I did have the Canadians beat though.
Last July the producer of the Tonight Show called the Moose Foundation and asked if they knew anyone who could call moose. The Moose foundation gave them my number.
The producer, Steve Ridgeway called me and asked if I would be interested in coming down and doing it on the show. He requested that I make a DVD and send it to him.
I made the DVD and they liked it enough to invite me to L.A. to appear on the show on 11-30-05.
They picked me up at LAX in a long black lemo, and gave me a tour of Tensile Town. They put me up in the Universal Sheridan Hotel. The next day they took me to the Universal Studio to rehearse. I had my own dressing room with my name on a plax. Kool stuff!!
Jay Leno came to my dressing room to visit for a half hour after rehearsal.
I was the first one on stage to try to "impress Ed Asner".
Jay Leno asked me what I was going to do to impress Ed, and I told him that I was going to do a love-sick cow moose call. I had a gallon bucket, and a squeeze bottle full of water.
Ed Asner asked me what was in the bottle, and I told him PEE.
I explained that when cow moose were rutting, they bawled, squalled, groaned and peed.
He asked what I would do if he responded. It almost threw me, I wasn't expecting that out of Ed.
After the crowd stopped laughing, I told Ed that I didn't care what he did as long as he was "Impressed".
He asked me to go ahead, and I raised the bottle up over my head and began peeing in the bucket. I then let out two long, quivering cow bawls.
I had water all over the stage, and had to clean it up.
The next contestant came on to do his dance routine and Ed told him to watch out, because Bubba had left some moose pee all over the stage.
It was a hoot, and they gave me a check for $300 for coming down. They also paid all of my expenses.
That evening I flew to Jackson Hole, Wyoming to attend this years Moose Convention. I wound up having to do that moose call three times at the convention and two times on live radio at KJAX Radio. This week I had an hour interview on KCRM Radio in Kenai. Busy-busy!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home