Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Adventures of Bubba

While I'm waiting to get my book ,"The Wilderness Trail", re-published, I thought I would share a few adventures of the past. I'm a firm believer that it is possible to find a little humor in most every ridiculous thing that happens.
Having said that...A few years ago I was working on the fiber-optic controls for the Trans Alaskan Pipeline. Since we were doing a lot of traveling, we found ourselves having to bunk in many different places. Some of the places were fairly "modern", but some were a bit crude.
I remember one place, and I can't give up where it was located, was a special place. They had opened up the hotel for us to stay in because it was in the "winter", and only the cafe was open.
It was a nice thing for them to do and we were grateful.
The cook was a big sour-faced lad. They didn't have a waitress, so he would yell out in a booming voice to get our orders.
The last morning I was up early and down to the dining room. I hadn't slept very well and probably a bit "sour" myself. Being yelled at wasn't something I really needed.
He yelled at me, "Want breakfast?" He didn't say it like most do, instead he "growled it out"in a thundering blast. I thundered back at him, "Yea, I'll take BRAINS AND EGGS."
He looked at me with a puzzled expression on his face and said, "Got no brains."
(Good answer!!) I paused a moment, and looked at him before I answered. Then I said, "I was afraid of that."
"Just give me some scrambled eggs and a side of French toast."
He stood there for a minute watching two others, who were trying to eat, choking on their food.
I'm sure he did figure out what I had done to him because it flustered him so badly that I never did get my French toast.
I watched him cook my breakfast to be sure he didn't spit in it. I never did go back to that place, mostly because I made the mistake of telling that story to ONE of the Locals who spread it all over town.
Just havin' Fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home