Thursday, December 22, 2005

Adventures of Bubba-2

A few years ago, while working along the pipeline, I had the misfortune to stay at another one of those little out-of-the way places. I was with one of my working partners.
We had to try-up for a few days while testing the fiber-optic controllers, and it was during the long-dark winter.
It was also far from anywhere and we were lucky to have a place to stay at best. The little log motel was located a couple of hundred yards from the restaurant. The first night, my partner's toilet managed to get plugged up. He called the Manager, who wore a dirty Donald Duck t-shirt, to get the toilet unplugged. Soon the cook showed, up in his equally nasty t-shirt, and apron, ( with big greasy splotches) with the plunger in hand. After several hard plunges, the cook managed to free the plug, and went back to the restaurant to attend his cooking duties.
I'm not so persnickety that I would let something like that bother me too much. My partner, on the other hand, got a bit squeamish. He was sure the nasty cook had not washed his nasty hands, because he didn't seem like one to wash anything.
I did eat the evening meal, which wasn't really that bad. Nasty maybe, but not that bad. My partner was hardly able to eat anything.
I requested that the cook make us some sandwiches in the morning, as we weren't going to make it back until late that next night. He proceeded to make the sandwiches right then, so he wouldn't be under so much pressure the next morning. We were the only ones there, so I didn't know where the "pressure" was coming from??
I ordered ham and cheese and my partner ordered peanut butter and jelly. He didn't think the cook could mess-up a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. He was right!! The cook did make my ham and cheese, and threw in some lettuce with big slices of tomatoes. By the next day, the tomatoes had oozed all over the bread, turning both pieces of bread to a sloppy mess.
We lived on peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for three more days.
Today, I can hardly look a peanut butter and jelly sandwich in the face, much less eat one of the things.
Oh well, just havin' fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home