Friday, July 27, 2007

Turning Leaves

It seems like summer just got here and now I noticed that the birch leaves are beginning to turn already.
We have had a busy couple of weeks playing with the fish. My poor old freezer is full of salmon. Actually all of my three freezers are full. Moose season is less than a month away and I'm not sure where I'm going to put 700 lbs of moose meat.
I've been knocking the arctic char dead at Dolly Varden lake and Cooper Lake. Cooper Lake is by far the most scenic lake I have ever seen.
Today I loaded up ammo for my 375 H&H and Lin's 300 Win. Mag. The camper is loaded and the ATV's are ready. I have moose fever!
My neighbor called and let me know that a grizz has been wandering around the alders just below my yard. I just went out and locked the door on the shed to keep him out of my freezers. He'll probably just rip off the door. If I hear him up to it, I'll let the air out of him. Hopefully he won't come back up on my porch and raid my garbage can. He has a habit of not putting things back in the can once he has removed goodies. I'll let the air out of him for that too.I guess that's the price I pay for living in such a place where I'm not necessarily at the top of the food chain.Actually, the skeeters, gnats, and bears are ahead of me, along with those crazy tourists that are lined up on both sides of the river for miles. I've never seen such an infestation of wanna-be fishermen. It's a wonder the bears don't get more of them than they do, and they have already grabbed several of them.
I just finished a DVD of several fishing and clamming trips.
If any of you are interested, send me an e-mail at oldbearhunter@alaska.net, and I'll send you one. They cost me $12 to produce and ship.
Well, it is getting dark now. The sun goes down at 10:30 tonight and will be dark until about 3:30 AM.It won't be long until the old "Cold Man Cometh".
I am looking forward to the snows. My wood pile is full and I'm ready for harvest time. Fall is by far my favorite time of the year. Mostly, the first frost will drive all of those hoards of flatlanders back down to what ever rock they crawled out from under.
I'll take the solitude of a frozen lake any day.

George"Bubba"Hunt, walking "The Wilderness Trail".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home