Friday, March 10, 2006

Bubba and the "SMOKED PIG JOWLS"

Last week my owner and I were lumbering through the "meat counter" at the local grocery store, when low and behold, I spotted a fresh supply of smoked jowls.
This was the first time I had seen jowls in a lot of years.
I excitedly yelled, "Look Hon, they have jowls!" I went on to rant and rave about how good they were in a big pot of beans.
She picked up two packages of them and off we went. I don't think she had ever seen them before, but my enthusiasm must have convinced her that they were a prize worth having.
A couple of days ago she put the big cast-iron pot on the top of the fireplace, dumped in a ton of beans along with a slab of the jowls. She threw in a fist full of garlic and stoked up the fire.
It wasn't long before the whole house was filled with the smell of those stinky smoked jowls and beans. I would have thought that the jowls wouldn't be much different than the ham-hocks that she usually used. Not so!!
I was informed that this would be twice that she would cook jowls. The first time and the last time.
I ate a big bait of them and they took affect just about bed-time. I almost wound up sleeping in the basement! She was no happy camper!
Today I went outside and got the big pot of jowls and beans. She had put them on the porch and they were frozen solid. I managed to cut off a big chunk with a knife, and put them on the stove to heat them up. That stunt was met with a loud volley of "bad smelling jowls" insults.
I had to finish heating them in the micro-wave to cut down the time of smelling up the house again.
While I ate my prize, she wandered around the house with a can of that smelly "room deodorant", spraying it all over the place. It was better than me eating outside, which was the other option.
She is now threatening to take the other package back to the store. This is what happens when one weds a city girl.
I shared this to inform the fellers that when they decide to take a wife, to be sure to find out how they feel about jowls before they take the big plunge.
By the way, those old jowls and beans were good, and in case you were wondering...I have the old basement warmed up for a long winter nights rest. :{
It just doesn't get much better than this!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home